Do I Need Roof Repair or Replacement?
The roof is one of the essential structures of a home and should be well maintained if you want to protect your own comfort and your property values. Occasionally, that means doing some maintenance to keep it in shape. But depending on the damage, it may be difficult to tell if your roof needs basic repairs or complete replacement. Here is a look at the difference to decide what makes sense for your home.
What is the Difference Between Roof Repair and Replacement?
Roof repair refers to the basic upkeep required to maintain your roof. Basic repairs include:
- Replacing old or cracked shingles.
- Patching up any leaks.
- Performing other minor tasks that improve the roof’s function but keep the basic structure intact.
Roof replacement means that the roof has been subject to severe damage or decay and must be replaced entirely. This could be for practical or aesthetic reasons and could result from severe weather damage, mold, or other causes. The International Association of Certified Home Inspectors recommends replacing your roof every few decades, or every 30 years if it’s asphalt, 25 if it’s wood, and 40 to 80 years if it’s metal.
Roof replacement often costs more upfront than basic repair. But if it’s necessary, it will save you money in the long run from having to perform constant repairs to keep the structure intact.
What Are the Signs I Need Roof Repair?
Several common signs may be an indication that you need roof repair. The sooner you identify the problem and take steps to fix it, the cheaper and simpler it will be in the long run. So, if you notice any of these common problems, it may be time to consult a roof repair specialist.
- Cracked or Damaged Shingles: Broken and decayed shingles not only look unappealing; they can also lead to other problems like leaks and drafts if they are not adequately shielding the underlying structure from the outside elements. If you notice that your shingles are starting to erode, it may be time for repair.
- Leaks: If moisture is getting into your home through the ceiling during a rain or snowstorm, it may signify that the roof is deteriorating. You should double-check to ensure that the leak is not coming from a different source, such as a broken pipe or running faucet. But if not, it’s time to call a roof repair specialist.
- Drafts and High Energy Bills: Feeling a sudden breeze? Or maybe your heating bill is gradually getting higher and higher even though you’ve kept the temperature in the home the same. A crack or hole in the roof may be letting the heat out. It would help if you double-checked all the doors and windows to make sure there aren’t any leaks. But the roof is an effective insulator, and if there are any gaps or cracks, it could make it challenging to keep the home at an optimum temperature.
What are the Signs I Need Roof Replacement?
If you inspect the roof and discover a more severe, widespread problem, it may be time to replace it entirely. Here are a few signs that it’s time for an upgrade.
Severe Weather Damage: If you live in an area of heavy rain or snowfall, you may have to replace your roof after a serious storm. Hail or sleet can especially wreak havoc on your roof and cause problems. While a few minor problems may be fixed with simple repairs, if you notice multiple deep cracks, loss of singles, or deeper structural issues, it may be time for a replacement.
Mold Infestation: Is the roof starting to look like Astroturf instead of asphalt? This may be a sign that you have a mold infestation. If the problem is isolated, you may be able to clean it up. But if left to fester for too long, it can rot the wood and potentially cause a health risk for you and your family. So, if the roof has become overgrown with mold, it may be time to replace it entirely.
Sagging or Drooping: A sagging or drooping roof is a sign of an underlying structural problem with the decking (the support beams that hold up the roof). If left unchecked, this can become a major safety hazard because it could collapse if too much pressure is put on it. Contact a professional right away if you notice your roof begins to droop or sag.
Where Should I Go for Quality Roof Repair or Replacement?
See us at Alpine Sheet Metal Systems for all your roofing needs. Whether you need a minor roof repair or complete roof replacement, we are here to help. Give us a call today to let us know about the problems you’re experiencing, and we are happy to send a specialist to take a look. You can get a quote online.